What if paying for your electricity were more like paying for gasoline to fill up your car tank? With Prepay from SAEC, it is now. Prepay is a payas-you-go plan that puts you in control of your electricity usage. You pay in advance — when you want and in the amount you want — helping you budget. Instead of receiving a traditional paper bill each month for the electricity you have already used, your usage is calculated daily.
Prepay members never pay a late charge and avoid paying large deposits.
PREPAY LETS YOU:
• Say goodbye to deposits and monthly bills
• Customize a payment schedule
• Buy electricity when convenient
• Monitor consumption
• Receive alerts via text message and email
SAEC’S SAEC Connect smartphone app keeps you in control
IS PREPAY THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME?
Would it be easier for you to make weekly or biweekly payments rather than one large payment each month? If so, Prepay may be for you.
Statistics indicate that prepay electricity programs help lower electric consumption due to member awareness of usage patterns. Any member interested in monitoring his or her electric use would benefit from our Prepay program.
WILL I PAY A DEPOSIT FOR PREPAY?
No. Prepay members do not pay a deposit. In fact, if you are currently on traditional billing, switching to the prepay program puts your deposit money to work for you now!
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO SET UP A PREPAY ACCOUNT?
A $5 membership fee and a $30 service connection fee is required on the account. You will also be responsible for paying a $50 minimum payment on your Prepay account.
HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD I KEEP IN MY PREPAY ACCOUNT?
That is entirely up to you! The beauty of the Prepay program is that it fits YOUR budget. You can buy enough energy to last until payday, or you can buy enough to last several months. The choice is yours!
WILL MY ELECTRIC SERVICE BE DIFFERENT IF I AM ON PREPAY?
No. You will have the same reliable electric service you have always had. Since you will receive low balance and pending disconnect notifications prior to disconnect, you will know if you are experiencing a power outage or have just run out of money on your prepay account.
HOW DO I MAKE PREPAY WORK FOR ME?
Prepay works best for people who want to take control of their electric account and energy use. By monitoring your consumption on a regular basis, you will begin to notice patterns in your day-to-day use. Any variation from this pattern, such as a house guest or a vacation, will become evident as you monitor your account. Monitoring and controlling daily usage can help keep your power costs down.
HOW CAN I CHECK MY BALANCE?
You can log in to www.southaec.com or download our SAEC Connect App for mobile devices to get your up-to-the-minute account balance. Access information is provided when your account is established.
You can also call 877-566-0611 to receive automated information regarding your Prepay account. When you set up your prepay account you must provide a current cell phone number and email address. By providing this information you will be able to receive updates on your daily balance as well as email and text alerts.
WILL I STILL BE A COOPERATIVE MEMBER?
Absolutely! You are still a member of South Alabama Electric Cooperative even if you choose to utilize our Prepay program.
IF I ALREADY HAVE A TRADITIONAL ACCOUNT, CAN I SWITCH TO PREPAY?
Yes! You can switch to a Prepay* account even if you already have service with South Alabama Electric Cooperative. Your existing deposit will be applied to your current account balance, with any remaining amount being applied as a credit to your Prepay account.
*Some restrictions may apply.
HOW DO I MAKE PAYMENTS?
- In person: Payments can be made at our office location between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
- Online: Payments can be made 24 hours a day at www.southaec.com.
- SAEC Connect Mobile App: Access information is provided when your account is established.
- Via credit card: Credit and debit card payments can also be made over the telephone 24 hours a day by calling 877-566-0611.
WHAT IF MY PREPAY ACCOUNT RUNS LOW?
Prepay is a self-managed program. You will receive a low balance notice by email or text message based on the notification preferences you set on your account. This will give you time to purchase power before the meter actually stops.
If you do not purchase more power, the meter will stop, and the power will turn off. Once a payment is made, your power will be reconnected.
- When an account is in arrears (overdue payment), all payments made are split 70/30 with 70% applied as payment toward current usage and 30% covering arrears recapture.
- Accounts in the negative are turned off at 11 a.m. the next business day.
- If you don’t receive your daily text message, please immediately let us know.
- After seven days of being off, your account will be final billed and you will need to contact customer service during normal business hours to re-establish electric service.
- If your power is turned off, you have to pay any overage accumulated and bring the account to a $50 credit balance. If you have an arrears recapture, you have to pay the 30% as well.
Example: Regular pay — $6.59 + $50 = $56.59 to be reconnected.
Arrears recapture pay — $6.59 + $50 = $56.59 ÷ .7 = $80.84
- Kilowatt usage to date: $6.59
- Minimum balance required: $50
- $24.25 is 30% applied to your arrears recapture balance